This past Thursday, I survived my first field trip of my teaching career. I took 98 third graders to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. (Of course I had chaperones along to help!) It was a huge success, the kids LOVED IT! The docents were super impressed with my kids' knowledge of art history which made me so proud!
Another exciting thing has been my partnership with The Viewfinder Project to offer a Photography Club with 12 of my fourth grade kiddos. The Viewfinder Project is a non-profit organization that serves pre-teen students through a dynamic character-based photography experience. Check out the promo video on the main page of their website. The first lesson is "What is Ugly?". Students had to find things that are ugly in their community (downtown Fortville) and take interesting photos. The mission of The Viewfinder Project is to empower students to choose to see the beauty in their environment, circumstances, and selves. I am very proud of the results from our photo shot. Here are some of my favs!
Okay, so I'm hitting a new stride in my teaching....the field trip and photo club have been great highlights of a wonderful year at work. (Remember how only a few post ago I thought I was freaking out to HAVE to go back to work?) Well....the school board finally voted on Monday night and I'm officially being laid off. :( It has been a long drawn-out process, so in that way I feel relieved to at least have closure. I'm trying to stay positive and end the year strong. I'm just going to miss my students and staff so much! We'll see what doors open and close for me teaching-wise next year. I love teaching art so much....I'll need to find some way to do it! Even if it's private lessons with my favorite one-year old! ha ha :)
Check out my students' artwork! www.artsonia.com I'm especially proud of the self portraits and Ron Burns: Cats and Dogs.
A few more things.... Natalie finally is enjoying her baths! :)
She's also enjoying Nancy's Casserole, a yummy family recipe! (It looks like she's using self-tanner...that or she's an umpa lumpa!)
Now we are just a few days away from our vacation to Sanibel!!!! Time to start packin!










3 comments:
So sorry about your job :-( They have cut all art/music in the elementary schools here in NA. Maybe you could advertise for private group lessons. Surely some of the parents would want to send their kids. Seems like the school could at least provide the space for you for an after school class. I was very impressed with your students work. You are obviously a very talented teacher. I'll be praying for you.
Oh Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I had a look at the work posted on artsonia - WOW! You are an incredible teacher, and I am praying that God will continue to give you opportunities to use your gift. And I look forward to hearing about what happens with your private art teaching venture. Natalie is so beautiful - I can't believe how quickly she has grown!
I love that you had a great trip with your class to the art museum! That is too bad about your job though, I hope you are able to find something else just as rewarding in the near future. :)
Natalie's self tanner/pasta experience is HILARIOUS! I LOVE that photo... what a beautiful baby girl you have... Oompa Loompa and all :)
Post a Comment